Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Mendoza


So I meant to post this only a couple hours after arriving in Chile, but it has been a couple days:
 
 
As I write this I am traveling on a bus from Mendoza to Santiago de Chile. Over 800 bodegas encircle the flat outskirts of the city, stretching miles into the foothills of the Andes mountain range. Some are big, some small. For the most part Argentina feels like quite a flat country, so it is quite exciting to have the horizon filled with jagged and snowy peaks.

My stay in Mendoza was rather brief considering the wide range of possibilities it offers. Most of te activities outside of the city require a car or a tour company, and I am someone that likes to do it myself. The city has some very neat places, such as the Parque San Martín. The park has hundreds of native plants from the Andes plains, an enormous statue commemorating the army San Martín and the unified Argentine/Chilean army he raised here, and a hill from which one can see the expansive mountain range on one side, the city of Mendoza on the other, and the hundreds of vineyards in between.

As we begin to weave a path into the mountains I feel quite a mix. It has come down to the last couple hours in Argentina. It is difficult to find the right words to describe my time here. The best and worst moments of my life have occurred within these borders. Some in Buenos Aires, some in Jujuy. I feel very fortunate to have been able ro travel so much of the country, and to have met so many amazing people. I can’t help but think that my memories of Argentina will be complicated.




 

I am on my way to Viña del Mar where I will spend the next week or so with Ivan. I don’t have other plans in Chile other than seeing Valparaiso.

No comments:

Post a Comment